How can Mailchimp help?
The solution to this problem is simple. Make sure your clients will purchase or remember to purchase the items left in their virtual shopping bag by setting up abandoned cart emails via Mailchimp.
Do you wonder what an abandoned cart email is? Remember those emails that you received when you added items to your cart on your favorite shopping platform and forgot them there?
An abandoned cart email is a reminder or a series of reminders sent to customers with the message that they forgot items in their shopping cart. These reminders can make a huge difference, as often people will realize that they actually need those products and they will go back to finalize the order.
Abandoned cart emails play an important part in the marketing process. Their aim is to encourage customers to complete a purchase.
This strategy includes three types of email reminders:
- Gentle reminder - the first abandoned cart email is usually just a reminder that the customer forgot to purchase the items in their shopping cart.
- The second email has the aim of presenting a deadline to the potential buyers. They need to know that if the items remain in their cart, their order will expire.
- Discounts—in case none of the above reminders will create an action, a third email that includes an offer can catch customers' attention and bring them back.
What do you need to know in order to use Mailchimp wisely?
What should an abandoned cart email include?
- A catchy subject line—write an engaging title and keep it short. 45-50 characters are more than enough.
- Use your client’s name: Do you know that calling people by their names gives them joy and a sense of importance? Use this technique in your emails and your clients will feel that you know them personally.
- Avoid clickbait and spam - You should avoid sending too many abandoned cart emails and writing subject lines that give the impression that you are forcing customers to buy.
- List the items in your shopping cart -People forget, and you need to make sure that they will know what items they left in the cart.
- Recommend similar products: After you list the abandoned items, you can also recommend some similar products or services. You never know what other products will catch the buyers’ attention.
When should an abandoned cart email be sent?
First email: good timing is the key to generating conversions. The sooner, the better! Send the first email, 1 or 2 hours after the client abandoned the cart.
The second email, which is a reminder, has to be sent after 24 hours. This email will create a sense of urgency and will remind customers about the items they left behind.
The third email, which is the offer email, will be sent before the deadline that you have given the clients in email number 2. This email needs to grab the clients’ attention with a good discount or a coupon.